2010 Tennessee Rugby Awards Banquet
Hosted by the Volunteer Rugby Foundation
April 24, 2010 - Over 120 alumni, family and friends attended the 2010 Awards Banquet hosted by the Volunteer Rugby Foundation and held at the Knoxville Expo Center. Folks arrived beginning at 6:00 PM, the buffet line was opened at 7:00 and the program began at 8:00.
- Opening Remarks, year in review and a preview of coming
events was delivered by Head Coach Butch Robertson. Items
of interest included over 40 players making the selection for
the Varsity team this academic year and an overview on the
rapidly changing atmospere of collegiate rugby in the US.
- Assistant Coach Marty Bradley provided information on the Volunteer Rugby Foundation and recaped some of the foundation's involvement over the past year including: $1500
in assistance for the national tournament, $1000 in assistance
towards the banquet and an anticipated $4000 in assistance
to the Tennessee Rugby Park. An outline of coming improvements to the giving program for the foundation was
- Club President Joel Fugate welcomed all in attendance
and reflected on the accomplishments of our rookie class
of players and then formally announced the end to their
- Assistant Coach Andy Allen presented the Iron Man Award, Grindstone Scholarship, Volunteer Scholarship and Rose Scholarship.
- Bill Peterson presented the Sexton Scholarships.
- Robertson presented the Ultimate Man Award.
- Robertson presented the Class of 2010 by recognizing each senior with the presentment of their Senior Mug and the Old Boys in attendance welcomed them to
the fold. Special thanks to UT Old Boys Matt Abernathy and Shane Randolph for their assistance in this most important ceremony.